Mold and mildew are nasty problems that are all too common. They thrive in damp, humid, and moist conditions where they can feed on the surface they’re growing on. When that surface is your ceiling, you will want to tackle the problem as soon as possible. Unfortunately, people tend to grab bleach and other chemical-filled cleaning products that do little to actual remove the mold, but pose a serious health risk to you and your family. Thankfully there are several safer and more natural options out there that will successfully remove the mold without harsh and toxic chemicals.
Before you Start
Before you begin cleaning, inspect the ceiling for any damage. If you notice problem areas, seek the help of a company that specializes in ceiling repair Houston. Trying to clean a damaged ceiling will cause more harm than good.
Distilled White Vinegar
Vinegar has long been used to clean, disinfect, and remove odors. It’s also a powerful mold killer. To get rid of mold and mildew, you will need to thoroughly saturate the affected area with undiluted distilled white vinegar. Let the vinegar sit on the surface for 15 minutes. After the allotted time, gently scrub the area with a cloth. Continue in this manner – applying vinegar, waiting 15 minutes, scrubbing – until you have removed all traces of the fungus. To remove the vinegar, simply wipe the surface with a cloth dampened in water and let area dry. For added protection, lightly mist the area with vinegar and let air dry.
Tea Tree Oil
This beloved essential oil has a slew of medicinal benefits that range from anti-bacterial to anti-fungal. It can also naturally clean mold and mildew from hard surfaces, such as your ceiling. Pour 3 cups of water into a spray bottle. Add 3 teaspoons of tea tree oil and secure the lid on the bottle. Gently shake the bottle for a few seconds to mix the two ingredients together. Thoroughly mist the mold and mildew with the mixture and let sit for 15 minutes before wiping the fungus off the ceiling with a damp cloth. Mist the ceiling once again and let dry.
Borax is another safer option for killing mold and mildew. One cup of this naturally occurring cleaning product can be mixed with 1 gallon of water to clean mold and mildew off of ceilings. Simply dampen a clean cloth in the borax mixture and wipe the affected area. When finished, rinse the borax mixture off the surface by wiping it with a clean cloth dampened with water.